Employee Group: MGEU Prof/Tech
Classification: P238 Occupational Therapist
Department/Service/Program: EMHC – Rehabilitation Services
FTE/Hours of Work: 0.4 FTE; 7.5 hr/day; 30 hrs./biweekly
Closing Date: January 19, 2019
Start Date: TBD
Job Posting Number: OT-095-1219
Please note: Your email/cover letter must indicate the relevant Job Posting Number.
Please apply directly via email to:
Payroll & Human Resources Manager
Eden Health Care Services
Reporting to the Eden Mental Health Centre Program Director, the Occupational Therapist will operate with a high degree of independence as a member of a multidisciplinary regional rehabilitation team. The incumbent will participate in the planning, delivery and evaluation of rehabilitation services, using a client centred, goal orientated approach. These services include assessment, direct intervention, consultation and public/parent/caregiver education and training within a variety of settings which may include acute care, outpatient, long term care, client’s home, school and other community settings.
The Occupational Therapist may also provide clinic supervision and training for students and provisional members and participates in the education of other health care professionals.
The incumbent will exercise the appropriate level of initiative and independent judgment in determining work priorities, work methods to be employed and action to be taken on unusual matters. The position functions in a manner that is consistent with the mission, vision and values; and the policies of Eden Health Care Services.
- Master’s Degree or equivalent entry level requirement in Occupational Therapy
- Active registration with the College of Occupational Therapists of Manitoba (COTM)
- Eligible for membership with the Canadian Association of Occupational Therapists
Principle Duties and Responsibilities:
Duties and functions include but are not limited to the following:
- Assesses, analyzes and interprets patient/client information.
- Administers and interprets a wide battery of tests, and assessment tools.
- Develops and implements diagnostically appropriate goal oriented treatment plans/recommendations based upon analysis of assessment findings, test results and client and family/caregiver interviews.
- Communicates assessment findings, goals, and treatment plans/recommendations to client/family, health care staff and other appropriate care providers.
- Engages the client and/or significant others in decisions related to the treatment plans/ recommendations, priority goals, and intervention needs to achieve best possible outcome.
- Completes a written report or chart note on each patient summarizing assessment findings, goals, treatment plan and intervention.
- Assesses, fits, and adjusts equipment/appliances.
- Administers treatment modalities using a safe and appropriate technique.
- Monitors, documents and reviews progress with patient/client on an ongoing basis to adjust treatment plans/recommendations appropriately in communication with client and other team members.
- Works with client/family to provide timely and effective communication with other care providers when client transitions between services or settings to ensure seamless transitions.
- Provides ongoing educational and therapeutic guidance to promote and increase awareness to other involved professionals and caregivers within the team.
- Provides consultation and training for family or other client/patient care providers who will be administering and monitoring the patient’s/client’s care plan.
- Provides training and education to health care staff and other care providers.
- Provides training and home programming, or recommendations for equipment to enhance client independence.
- Shares schedules and pertinent information to ensure collaborative approach to client care.
- Attends client care planning and program planning meetings as required.
- Participates in the training, supervision and evaluation of rehabilitation support staff and students.
- Participates in ongoing quality management through the development, implementation, and evaluation of services.
- Participates in the development of program policies, guidelines and resources with review and revision as deemed necessary.
- Provides ongoing evaluation of services and implementing changes to ensure delivery of best practice services.
- Establishes priorities and organizes daily schedule for designated caseload.
- Completes required statistical reporting.
- Attends staff meetings.
- Establishes specifications and submits requisitions for new equipment and/or supplies.
- Assists in maintaining preventative maintenance records and utilizes this information to formulate strategy for ongoing equipment replacement.
- Acts as a representative of Rehabilitation Services in all aspects of the program (e.g. communicates with facility and community services/programs and other sectors, participates on regional working groups, and participates in facility leadership meetings and on community committees).
- Participates in the development and maintenance of quality improvement activities.
- Adheres to the facility’s policies, procedures and guidelines.
- Keeps statistical information and submits reports within identified time lines.
- Participates in performance appraisal of other staff members as requested.
***Complete Job Description available upon request ***