Casual Psychiatric Nursing Attendant
Eden Mental Health Centre, Winkler
Employee Group: CUPE
Start: As soon as possible
Open Until Filled
Job Posting Number: A-095-1127
Position Summary: Consistent with the mission, values, objectives and policies of the Centre, the Psychiatric Nurse’s Assistant (PNA) attends to the basic, physical care needs of the patient on the unit and observes and reports their observations to the nurse. The PNA also assists the nurse with practical needs on the unit.
Education/Certification: Must hold a current Health Care Aide certificate.
Knowledge, Skills and Ability:
o Ability to work independently and initiate communication appropriate for patient treatment.
o Must be able to take direction and work as part of a team, in order to meet patient and unit needs.
o CPR certification.
o Physically and mentally able to perform required tasks.
Other Requirements and Conditions of Employment:
• May be required to work evenings, nights and weekends depending on rotation.
• Satisfactory Criminal Record Check (with the Vulnerable Sector Check)
• Satisfactory Child Abuse Registry Check
• Satisfactory Adult Abuse Registry Check
• Valid Driver’s License
• Current Vehicle Registration, indicating 3rd Party Liability Insurance of $1,000,000 or more
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
• Uses a recovery model approach.
• Obtains patient assignments from shift report and carries out tasks in a manner consistent with individual treatment plan.
• Assists patients with activities of daily living (ADL’s) in a manner that demonstrates respect for the individual’s dignity, and facilitates independence in functioning. E.g. meals, personal hygiene, dressing, elimination, mobility.
• Observes and reports alterations in the patient’s functional status, behaviours and/or responses to interventions to the patient’s primary/assigned nurse (or delegate).
• Consults with the primary/assigned nurse regarding appropriate approach and management of care as needed.
• Maintains flow sheet and observation sheets in accordance with program standards.
• Maintains dining room checks and provides assistance in the dining room, when needed.
• Escorts patients for various appointments, tests, etc. outside of EMHC, when needed.
• Assists with ECT procedure under supervision and with direction from nurses.
• Encourages and assists patient’s participation with activities program, groups, etc.
• Maintains a safe environment by appropriately distributing/ storing equipment and supplies.
• Prepares and stocks ECT room.
• Ongoing monitoring of safety of unit: Ensures furniture is positioned to maintain clear pathways and exits; follows infection control guidelines; secures hazardous materials (i.e. solutions and sharps); initiates requisitions for equipment/ furniture repair; checks courtyard once per shift for safety concerns; checks patient belongings on admission and after returning from a pass for contraband items; assists patients with care of personal belongings and clothing; lists patient’s valuables and arranges for their storage on admission and return on discharge; assists with activities of Nursing Station when Ward Clerk is unavailable.
• Completes duties for Day, Evening and Night shift as per the Duty Lists (see attached).
• When housekeeping is unavailable, carbolizes rooms, beds, etc.
Physical Demands and Working Conditions:
• Must be physically capable of carrying out the duties and responsibilities as assigned.
A. Supervision Received: Inpatient Unit Manager
B. Supervision Exercised: None
Submit Cover Letter and Resume To:
Payroll and Human Resources Manager