1.0 FTE Permanent
Intensive Case Management Program
Pathways Community Mental Health Program, Winkler MB
Employee Group: MAHCP
Start: January 2021
Closing Date: Open Until Filled
Job Posting Number: P-095-1229
The Community Mental Health Worker provides psychosocial assessment, consultation and evidence-informed counselling intervention and psychosocial rehabilitation to individuals referred to the mental health program for mental health related problems. This position provides a welcoming point of entry for clients and referral sources and promotes therapeutic relationships through the service engagement process. Services are based on the principles of recovery, empowerment, self-determination and responsibility and are part of a continuum of mental health services. Workers operate within a collaborative care structure and provide time-limited, goal-oriented, change-focused interventions and/or consultations that are based on informed consent, voluntary participation and within client capacity. The mental health worker works to the full scope of practice and engages in ongoing education and maintains competency congruent with Eden Health Care Services policies, professional standards of practice, the appropriate college and code of ethics and the Regulated Health Professions Act.
The incumbent will exercise the appropriate level of initiative and independent judgment in determining work priorities, work methods to be employed and action to be taken on unusual matters. The position functions in a manner that is consistent with the mission, vision, values, and policies of Eden Health Care Services.
Services enable individuals to regain hope, self determination and empowerment, identify and strengthen skills and abilities, achievement of personal goals, increase personal supports and community integration, and become active partners in their recovery journey to improve the quality of all aspects of life including social, occupational, educational, residential, intellectual, spiritual and financial.
o Graduate of an accredited post-secondary education in Health Related Social Sciences (e.g. BSW, BScMH, BScPN, BN, RPN, OT). Other relevant educational qualifications and experience may be considered.
o Active license and registration to practice as required by professional association and provincial legislation.
o Certificate in Applied Suicide Intervention Skills (ASIST).
o Minimum of 2 years supervised counselling experience
o Experience in providing mental health services for adults or children and adolescents or adults with serious mental illnesses, or senior’s mental health
o Experience in completing psychosocial assessments and mental status examinations
Knowledge, Skills and Ability:
o Knowledge and understanding of all aspects of mental health service
o Advanced mental health psychosocial assessment skills and knowledge of appropriate evidence informed therapeutic counseling models, approaches and interventions
o Advanced knowledge of human developmental theory and mental health concerns typically identified for various populations across the age spectrum including signs and symptoms of mental illness
o Knowledge of recovery principles in the treatment of mental illness
o Knowledge and understanding of co-occurring mental health and substance use disorders
o Knowledge of commonly prescribed psychotropic medications for mental disorders across the age spectrum
o Knowledge of mental health self-help and client and family engagement in mental health treatment
o Knowledge of relevant legislation and standards in Manitoba i.e. Personal Health Information Act and others as specified by Eden Health Care Services
o Demonstrated excellence in communication, interpersonal and organizational skills
o Demonstrated ability to prepare written communication
o Demonstrated ability to complete psychosocial assessment, including mental status examination, preparing diagnostic impressions, and identifying crisis intervention plans
o Demonstrated ability to work in a culturally informed manner within a range of cultures
o Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively within a multi-disciplinary team and across service sectors
o Demonstrated proficiency with MS Office suite of programs and other technological applications such as telehealth
o Given the cultural diversity of our region, the ability to communicate in more than one language would be considered an asset
o Demonstrated ability to respect confidentiality including paper, electronic formats and other mediums
o Good work and attendance record
Other Requirements and Conditions of Employment:
• May work occasionally evenings and weekends as necessary
• May be required to travel to other regional facilities as the position duties may require
• Satisfactory Criminal Record Check (with the Vulnerable Sector Check)
• Satisfactory Child Abuse Registry Check
• Satisfactory Adult Abuse Registry Check
• Valid Driver’s License
• Current Vehicle Registration, indicating 3rd Party Liability Insurance of $1,000,000 or more
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
Duties and functions include but are not limited to the following:
• Provides a welcoming environment and facilitates the development of respectful and therapeutic relationships with clients, their families, referral sources and the community
• Adheres to all mental health program policies, procedures and guidelines and ensures that program goals and standards of care are met
• Works within a multidisciplinary team and collaborates with other agencies and service providers in keeping with the requirements of the Personal Health Information Act, The Mental Health Act, the Protecting Children (information sharing) Act and other Acts and legislation as related to their program service area (e.g. Protecting Persons in Care Act)
• Gathers information from clients and other involved parties and completes initial and on-going psychosocial assessments, crisis assessments and mental status examinations
• Presents psychosocial assessment findings and treatment recommendations to the clinical review team
• Implements psychotherapeutic interventions and treatment plans based on evidence-informed practices and recommendations emerging from the clinical review team, and is within program resources and capacity
• Provides education and information to clients and their families related to mental health conditions, diagnosed psychiatric disorders and relevant treatment options
• Assists clients and their families to connect with or refer to relevant resources as required
• Develops and documents advance directives / crisis care plans with clients
• Consults with professionals, agencies, organizations and individuals in the community/region on specific cases and/or treatment issues
• Participates in mental health promotion activities
• Participates in ongoing professional development
• Participates in mentoring and orientation of new staff and the preceptorship of students
• Contributes to program development participates in designated committees, projects and working groups
• Participates in policy and procedure review, program evaluation and service outcome measurements
• Utilizes peer supervision on an as needed basis
• Maintains documentation, in electronic or paper based files, regarding client services as required by regional policies and professional standards
• Completes and submits required statistical information on a monthly basis
• Acting as a resource, provides direction to proctors, including establishing service priorities and schedules for mental health clients.
• Demonstrates honesty, integrity and professional ethics. Uses appropriate tools and resources to resolve professional and ethical issues.
• Contributes to making the organization safe for patients, residents, clients and staff, and recognizes the importance of reporting unsafe situations and participating in follow up reviews as a learning opportunity.
• All employees accept responsibility to support clients in their language of choice.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
Physical Demands and Working Conditions:
• Must be physically capable of carrying out the duties and responsibilities as assigned.
A. Supervision Received: Eden/ Southern Health-Santé Sud Regional Manager – Community Mental Health
B. Supervision Exercised: None
Payroll & Human Resources Manager