Food Services Department – Eden Mental Health Centre
Classification – CK1 Cook CUPE
Start Date: Immediately
Closing Date: Open Until Filled
Job Posting Number: D-095-0702
Reporting to the Support Services Manager, the Cook is responsible for the daily preparation, cooking and delivery of safe, nutritious meals to the patients, staff and visitors of the facility in accordance with departmental policies and procedures.
- Minimum Grade 12 diploma required.
- Certificate in an Accredited Food Handler Training Program required; or be willing to attend Food Handler Training Program in the first six (6) months of employment.
- Completion of an Accredited Culinary Program preferred.
- Minimum 1 year experience in the Healthcare/Food services industry preferred.
- Other combinations of education & experience may be considered
Knowledge, Skills and Ability:
- Demonstrated excellent interpersonal communication and problem solving skills.
- Ability to work as part of a team.
- Must be flexible and adapt easily to an ever changing work environment.
- Ability to communicate in more than one language an asset.
- Physical and mental health necessary to meet the demands of the job required.
* The above represent general core qualifications for the position and may vary as necessary to the operations of the dietary services.
Other Requirements and Conditions of Employment:
- Required to work weekends on rotation.
- Satisfactory Criminal Record Check (with the Vulnerable Sector Check)
- Satisfactory Child Abuse Registry Check
- Satisfactory Adult Abuse Registry Check
- Valid Driver’s License
- Current Vehicle Registration, indicating 3rd Party Liability Insurance of $1,000,000 or more
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
- Adheres to the mission, policies and procedures of the department and facility.
- Maintains confidentiality in all matters relating to patients, staff and the facility.
- Directs the Dietary Aides in the absence of the Support Services Manager.
- Prepares all meals as indicated on menus in accordance with safe food handling procedures.
- Follows standardized recipes as directed.
- Demonstrates knowledge and understanding of all therapeutic and texture modified diets.
- Demonstrates knowledge and understanding of sanitary food handling.
- Ensures proper portion control and estimates quantities of food needed to meet menu requirements.
- Participates in the orientation and training of new Dietary department staff.
- Ensures the sanitary handling of dishes, food, equipment and cleanliness of related work areas.
- Reports the need for repairs and/or the replacement of equipment to the Support Services Manager.
- Communicates all pertinent information to the Support Services Manager in a timely manner.
- Receives and checks food and supply deliveries and ensure they are stored appropriately.
- Performs audits and equipment checks as directed.
- Portions food for service delivery in accordance with therapeutic diet and texture specifications.
- Serve meals and nourishment to patients, staff and visitors in a courteous and appropriate manner.
- Provide cafeteria services for staff and visitors, which include food preparation, payment of meals and ensure the cafeteria area is clean and orderly.
- Participates in quality improvement activities for both the Dietary Department and the facility as appropriate.
- Perform ware-washing functions in a safe and sanitary manner.
- Receives records and communicates all diet requisitions and changes as assigned.
- Demonstrates and promotes safety by practicing principals of body mechanics, electrical, chemical safety (WHMIS), thermal safety and accident prevention.
- Performs other duties as assigned in order to maintain an efficient, high quality operation.
- Attends and participates in department and site meetings and/or in-services as appropriate.
- The above listed position duties and responsibilities reflect the core functions of the position. Related duties and responsibilities may be assigned as necessary to the operation of dietary services.
Physical Demands and Working Conditions:
- Must be physically capable of carrying out the duties and responsibilities as assigned.
A. Supervision Received: Support Services Manager
B. Supervision Exercised: None
Payroll and Human Resources Manager
Eden Health Care Services