0.8 FTE Permanent
Eden Mental Health Centre
Employee Group: CUPE
Start Date: August 30, 2020
Closing Date: August 20, 2020
Job Posting Number: D-095-0820
Under the direction of the Support Services Manager or in their absence, the Cook, the Dietary Aide performs a multitude of Food Service functions including assisting with meal and nourishment preparation, service of meals and nourishment to the patients, staff and visitors, ware washing, cleaning and sanitizing duties and quality assurance activities.
o Minimum Grade 12 diploma required.
o Certificate in an Accredited Food Handler Training Program required; or be willing to attend Food Handler Training Program in the first six (6) months of employment.
o Minimum 1 year experience in the Healthcare/Food services industry preferred.
o Other combinations of education & experience may be considered
Knowledge, Skills and Ability:
o Demonstrated excellent interpersonal communication and problem solving skills.
o Ability to work as part of a team.
o Must be flexible and adapt easily to an ever changing work environment.
o Ability to communicate in more than one language an asset.
o Physical and mental health necessary to meet the demands of the job required.
Other Requirements and Conditions of Employment:
• Required to work weekends on rotation.
• Satisfactory Criminal Record Check (with the Vulnerable Sector Check)
• Satisfactory Child Abuse Registry Check
• Satisfactory Adult Abuse Registry Check
• Valid Driver’s License
• Current Vehicle Registration, indicating 3rd Party Liability Insurance of $1,000,000 or more
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
• Adheres to the mission, policies and procedures of the department and facility.
• Maintain confidentiality in all matters relating to patients, staff and the facility.
• Assist in the preparation of food as directed by the Cook and/or Support Services Manager.
• Portion food for service delivery in accordance with therapeutic diet and texture specifications.
• Serve meals and nourishment to patients, staff and visitors in a courteous and appropriate manner.
• Provide cafeteria services for staff and visitors, which includes food preparation, payment of meals and ensure the cafeteria area is clean and orderly.
• Clear tables and/or retrieve trays after every meal.
• Perform ware-washing functions in a sanitary and safe manner.
• Clean and sanitize equipment, tables, carts, utensils and kitchen areas.
• Ensure the safe and sanitary handling of food, equipment and supplies.
• Receive and check food and supply deliveries ensure they are stored appropriately.
• Performs audits, equipment checks as directed.
• Familiarity with requirements of WHMIS as they apply to the chemical products used at the Centre.
• Receives, records and communicates all diet requisitions and changes as directed.
• Demonstrates knowledge and understanding of all therapeutic and texture modified diets.
• Demonstrates knowledge and understanding of sanitary food handling principals and procedures.
• Participates in the orientation and training of new Dietary department staff.
• Performs other duties as assigned in order to maintain an efficient, high quality operation.
• Attends and participates in department and site meetings and/or in-services as appropriate.
• Participates in quality improvement activities for the Food Service Department and the Facility as appropriate.
Physical Demands and Working Conditions:
• Must be physically capable of carrying out the duties and responsibilities as assigned.
A. Supervision Received: Support Services Manager and/or Cook
B. Supervision Exercised: None