1.0 FTE Maternity Leave Term
Location: Concordia Village IV, Winnipeg
Employee Group: Out-of-Scope
Start Date: December 2020
End Date: Anticipated to end December 2021, but may expire within two weeks’ notice
Closing Date: November 23, 2020
Job Posting Number: CV-195-1116
Under the supervision of the Housing and Supports Manager, the Housing Support Worker assists in carrying out housing and support plans, outreach to tenants, and rehabilitation and support functions. This would include skill building, linking to and maintaining formal and informal support network. The Housing Support Worker will use Psychosocial Rehabilitation and Recovery Principles in carrying out their regular duties.
- Post-secondary education in Human Services, other related disciplines, and/or equivalent experience required
- Experience in mental health preferred
- Knowledge, Skills and Ability:
- Knowledge of Manitoba Residential Tenancy Act and Guidelines an asset
- Knowledge of mental illnesses/mental health issues and recovery.
- Excellent time management, organizational and decision-making skills.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work independently as well as part of a team.
- Experience in facilitating group learning and leisure activities.
- Demonstrated skills in establishing supportive, trusting relationships.
- Demonstrated flexibility and creativity.
- Knowledge of community resources.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
Tenant Outreach & Support:
- Participation in Planning and Intervention with Tenants:
- Reviews assessment tools/information and accompanying referral documentation.
- Provides information to the Housing and Supports Manager during the initial and ongoing assessment of an individual’s housing needs including:
- Mental health issues/obstacles.
- Activities of daily living
- Recovery & Rehabilitation
- Potential Services/Supports required.
- Assists tenants to establish a plan, structure, and goals which will support successful tenancy and prevent evictions.
- Provide Rehabilitation and Support Services to Tenants:
- Intervenes and assists tenants with problem areas that put their tenancy at risk.
- Assisting individuals to “keep” housing by helping the tenant to:
- Maintain and improve their housing by understanding their tenancy responsibilities and connecting with the community.
- Acts as liaison between tenant and landlord.
- Assists tenants to acquire skills including:
- Performing personal hygiene and grooming tasks.
- Performing household activities including organization, cleaning, laundry, meal planning and grocery shopping.
- Teaching money-management skills and assist individuals to access financial services.
- Providing side-by-side support and coaching to assist individuals to socialize.
- Structuring time and increasing social experience through assistance with organizing social and recreational activities/opportunities.
- Provides assistance regarding advocacy, referral, coordination and linking to assist tenant in the acquisition of:
- Legal and advocacy services.
- Language and Immigration services.
- Financial Services.
- Transportation services.
- Appropriate services such as home care, mental health, addiction services, financial and educational services to facilitate client access to supports and services.
- Education and Support with Tenants’:
- Coordinates and facilitate services to tenants on a group basis to:
- Promote personal growth through mental health sessions and activities.
- Provide information and linking with formal supports such as community agencies and other service providers.
- Facilitate group activities and events that provide fun and engage tenants’ who are uninvolved.
Housing Procurement Assistance:
- Participate in development and implementation of housing options
- Link with inter-sectoral partners (service providers, landlords, housing developers, community groups) to secure housing.
- Assist consumers one-on-one to “choose”, “get” and “keep” housing.
- Documents tenant progress.
- Other duties as assigned by the Housing and Supports Manager and/or Program Director
Physical Demands and Working Conditions:
- Must be physically capable of carrying out the duties and responsibilities as assigned.
A. Supervision Received: Housing & Supports Manager – CV4
B. Supervision Exercised: None
Submit Resume and Cover Letter To:
Jordan Fehr, Payroll and Human Resources Manager