Eden Mental Health Centre, Inpatient Unit
0.5 FTE Permanent
1,885 Annual Hours
Employee Group: MAHCP
Classification: Community Mental Health Worker IV
Start Date: Immediately
Closing Date: June 24, 2020
Job Posting Number: SW-095-0624
Consistent with the mission, values, objectives and policies of the Centre, the In-Patient Social Worker position is two-fold as part of a multidisciplinary team:
• Provides services to in-patients related to external, out-of-hospital needs in the area of social work.
• Provide leadership for planning and implementing therapeutic groups for in-patients.
Education/Certification: Must have a Degree in Social Work and hold a current Social Work license.
Knowledge, Skills and Ability:
o Has demonstrated skills in therapeutic interventions – individual, family and group.
o Has a working knowledge of clinical syndromes (including DSM-IV), with an appreciation for each discipline’s potential contribution and perspective in common treatment issues.
o Has a working knowledge of the Mental health Act, including confidentiality requirements and other relevant legislation (PPCO, Vulnerable Persons Act, Public Trustee); willingness to learn and follow the Centre and department policies and procedures.
o Familiar with the network of community agencies and resources available to patients; familiar with provincial agencies and services related to mental health.
o Has demonstrated excellent verbal and written communication skills.
o A working knowledge of respectful workplace requirements and demonstrated ability to maintain positive working relationships.
o The physical and mental health to meet the demands of the job.
o Organizational, prioritization and assessment skills.
o A good work and attendance record.
o Must possess basic computer/keyboard skills.
o Demonstrated ability to work and make decisions both independently and interdependently.
o Evidence of ongoing personal and professional development.
o Acts as a patient advocate as needed, particularly when communicating with community resources.
o Holds a valid driver’s license.
o Physically and mentally capable of performing duties assigned.
Other Requirements and Conditions of Employment:
• Satisfactory Criminal Record Check (with the Vulnerable Sector Check)
• Satisfactory Child Abuse Registry Check
• Satisfactory Adult Abuse Registry Check
• Valid Driver’s License
• Current Vehicle Registration, indicating 3rd Party Liability Insurance of $1,000,000 or more
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
Services to in-patients related to external, out-of-hospital needs:
• Consulting, collaborating and participating in meetings with the treatment team, including doctor’s rounds, Kardex and other team meetings to plan, inform and review treatment plans in relation to patient care needs in the area of social work.
• Completing group assessments, referrals (Community Mental Health Program, Homecare, MB Housing, PCH, Public Health Services (Family First), SMHC, Segue, etc.) and application forms (Social Assistance, CPP, Disability, EI, EIA, any medical requests, etc.) and obtaining collateral information, and social histories as ordered by the psychiatrists and/or as determined by the patient’s needs discussed in the above mentioned meetings.
• Communicating with community resources, businesses, etc. in relation to patient needs, as well as ongoing communication with CMHW and all other agencies involved.
• Attending the patient’s family/support network meetings. (Arrange and facilitate family/support network meetings, including preparing the agenda and leading the meetings and informing the team members of the agenda and goals for the meetings; communicating with in-patient staff for purposes of preparing the patient for the meeting.)
• Documenting all patient activity relating to Social Work on the file, including progress notes, correspondence and reports.
• Act as the point of contact for the patient’s family, including providing information about the patient’s care and progress to relevant family members, returning phone calls from family, providing therapeutic support to families as needed; document this information in the progress notes in the chart.
Duties Related to Therapeutic Groups for In-patients:
• Facilitate in-patient therapy groups, including preparation as required; reviewing in-patient group material routinely with the In-Patient unit Coordinator to ensure evidence-based practice is being maintained.
• Provide documentation in the progress notes/Groups communication book and/or at doctor’s rounds and Kardex regarding the patients’ involvement and progress in Groups.
• Discuss issues/concerns/progress with in-patient staff regarding patient’s participation in groups as needed.
• Consults with supervisor on a regular basis.
• Attends in-services and other educational events as part of mandatory training and as other opportunities arise; continuing competency.
• Participates in Centre committee work as negotiated (i.e. Ethics Committee).
• Supervises Social Work students and acts as a preceptor as opportunities arise.
Physical Demands and Working Conditions:
• Must be physically capable of carrying out the duties and responsibilities as assigned.
A. Supervision Received: In-Patient Unit Manager
B. Supervision Exercised: None
Submit Resume and Cover Letter To:
Payroll and Human Resources Manager
Eden Health Care Services