Eden Mental Health Centre, Winkler
0.2 FTE Permanent, 390 Annual Hours; 7.5 hrs/day
Employee Group: MAHCP
Closing Date: July 29, 2020
Job Posting Number: OT-095-0729
Apply To: Jordan Fehr, Payroll & HR Manager
Reporting to the Eden Mental Health Centre Nursing Unit Manager, the Occupational Therapist will operate with a high degree of independence as a member of a multidisciplinary regional rehabilitation team. The incumbent will participate in the planning, delivery and evaluation of rehabilitation services, using a client centred, goal orientated approach. These services include assessment, direct intervention, consultation and public/parent/caregiver education and training within a variety of settings which may include acute care, outpatient, long term care, client’s home, school and other community settings.
The Occupational Therapist may also provide clinic supervision and training for students and provisional members and participates in the education of other health care professionals.
The incumbent will exercise the appropriate level of initiative and independent judgment in determining work priorities, work methods to be employed and action to be taken on unusual matters. The position functions in a manner that is consistent with the mission, vision and values; and the policies of Eden Health Care Services.
- Master’s Degree or equivalent entry level requirement in Occupational Therapy
- Active registration with the College of Occupational Therapists of Manitoba (COTM)
- Eligible for membership with the Canadian Association of Occupational Therapists
- Knowledge, Skills and Ability:
- Proficiency in Microsoft office applications and email/Outlook
- Demonstrated effective oral and written communication skills
- Demonstrated effective decision making, and problem solving skills
- Demonstrated organizational and time management skills
- Demonstrated ability to build and maintain professional working relationships with management and staff within the region as well as appropriate outside vendors and agencies
- Demonstrated ability to work both independently and as part of a team
- Demonstrated ability to respect confidentiality including paper, electronic formats and other mediums
- Demonstrated ability to meet the physical and mental demands of the job
Other Requirements and Conditions of Employment:
- Satisfactory Criminal Record Check (with the Vulnerable Sector Check)
- Satisfactory Child Abuse Registry Check
- Satisfactory Adult Abuse Registry Check
- Valid Driver’s License
- Current Vehicle Registration, indicating 3rd Party Liability Insurance of $1,000,000 or more
Principle Duties and Responsibilities
- Assesses, analyzes and interprets patient/client information.
- Administers and interprets a wide battery of tests, and assessment tools.
- Develops and implements diagnostically appropriate goal oriented treatment plans/recommendations based upon analysis of assessment findings, test results and client and family/caregiver interviews.
- Communicates assessment findings, goals, and treatment plans/recommendations to client/family, health care staff and other appropriate care providers.
- Engages the client and/or significant others in decisions related to the treatment plans/ recommendations, priority goals, and intervention needs to achieve best possible outcome.
- Completes a written report or chart note on each patient summarizing assessment findings, goals, treatment plan and intervention.
- Assesses, fits, and adjusts equipment/appliances.
- Administers treatment modalities using s safe and appropriate technique.
- Monitors, documents and reviews progress with patient/client on an ongoing basis to adjust treatment plans/recommendations appropriately in communication with client and other team members.
- Works with client/family to provide timely and effective communication with other care providers when client transitions between services or settings to ensure seamless transitions.
- Provides ongoing educational and therapeutic guidance to promote and increase awareness to other involved professionals and caregivers within the team.
- Provides consultation and training for family or other client/patient care providers who will be administering and monitoring the patient’s/client’s care plan.
- Provides training and education to health care staff and other care providers.
- Provides training and home programming, or recommendations for equipment to enhance client independence.
- Shares schedules and pertinent information to ensure collaborative approach to client care.
- Attends client care planning and program planning meetings as required.
- Participates in the training, supervision and evaluation of rehabilitation support staff and students.
Program Planning and Administration
- Participates in ongoing quality management through the development, implementation, and evaluation of services.
- Participates in the development of program policies, guidelines and resources with review and revision as deemed necessary.
- Provides ongoing evaluation of services and implementing changes to ensure delivery of best practice services.
- Establishes priorities and organizes daily schedule for designated caseload.
- Completes required statistical reporting.
- Attends staff meetings.
- Establishes specifications and submits requisitions for new equipment and/or supplies.
- Assists in maintaining preventative maintenance records and utilizes this information to formulate strategy for ongoing equipment replacement.
- Acts as a representative of Rehabilitation Services in all aspects of the program (e.g. communicates with facility and community services/programs and other sectors, participates on regional working groups, and participates in facility leadership meetings and on community committees).
- Participates in the development and maintenance of quality improvement activities.
- Adheres to the facility’s policies, procedures and guidelines.
- Keeps statistical information and submits reports within identified time lines.
- Participates in performance appraisal of other staff members as requested.
- Identifies own individual educational needs and, in conjunction with the EMHC Program Director, develops an educational pathway to meet those needs.
- Participates in regular performance evaluation based on this job description.
- Participates in Continuing Competency program as per College of Occupational Therapists of Manitoba guidelines.
- Participation in activities of the professional associations and special interest groups is encouraged.
- Attends and completes required regional annual in‐services/self‐learning modules and other regional education sessions as deemed appropriate.
- Participates and contributes to shared learning with rehabilitation services staff and other health care providers.
- Contributes to making the organization safe for patients, residents, clients and staff, and recognizes the importance of reporting unsafe situations and participating in follow up reviews as a learning opportunity.
Performs other duties as assigned.
Physical Demands and Working Condition:
- No hazardous or significantly unpleasant conditions
- May work scheduled evenings, weekends, and statutory holidays
- Will be required to travel to other regional facilities as the position duties may require
- A. Supervision Received: Inpatient Unit Manager
- B. Supervision Exercised: None
Organizational Related Expectations:
The above duties and responsibilities reflect the core functions of the position. Related duties and responsibilities may be modified as necessary to the operation of the department.
All employees within the Eden organization have a personal responsibility in performing safe work practices and are responsible to cooperate with safety committee members/workers representatives, provincial safety and health officers, and the employer in the continuous development of a safe work place.
All employees within the Eden organization must demonstrate the ability to maintain confidentiality in all aspects of employment and adhere to Eden confidentiality policies and practices.
All employees within the Eden organization are to acknowledge and understand the nature of our work; the purpose of the services and programs we provide; and potential risks involved when working with vulnerable persons.
The above listing position duties and responsibilities reflect the core functions of the position. Related duties and responsibilities may be modified as necessary to the operation of the department.
(All employees within Eden Mental health Centre have a personal responsibility in performing safe work practices and are responsible to cooperate with safety committee members’/ workers representatives, provincial safety and health officers, and the employer in the continuous development of a safe work place.)