Eden Mental Health Centre Winkler, MB
Casual – as required by management
Days and Evening shifts only
Employee Group: MNU
Job Posting: UNE-095-1207
Open Until Filled
See Eden Nursing Careers video here: https://youtu.be/S3Q81LPEIO0
The Undergraduate Nursing Employee (UNE) position provides an opportunity for the nursing student employed as a UNE to consolidate the knowledge and skill acquired in their approved nursing education program towards competency in the range and complexity of Registered Nurse (RN) or Registered Psychiatric Nurse (RPN) practice. The UNE is an unregulated member of the collaborative health care team who provides *patient centered care with the supervision of the RN or RPN.
The nursing activities performed and level of supervision required are determined by legislation, standards of supervision outlined by regulatory colleges, employer policy, educational preparation, practice setting, complexity of the patient, level of risk involved, and competency of the UNE. In collaboration with the UNE, the RN or RPN at the point of care has the responsibility to make a reasonable and prudent UNE patient care assignment.
The UNE is accountable for providing safe nursing care to patients in accordance with their formal nursing education preparation and competency. The UNE is responsible for seeking consultation and guidance. The UNE is excluded from employment in a practice setting for the period of time that the UNE is in a clinical placement as a student in that practice setting.
*Patient means an adult or child who receives or has requested health care or services from a Regional Health Authority and/or Shared Health, and its health care providers or individuals authorized to act on behalf of them. This term is inclusive of residents, clients and outpatients.
• Current enrollment in an approved nursing education program leading to initial entry to practice as a Registered Nurse or Registered Psychiatric Nurse.
• Successful completion of the third year or enrolled in third year with a minimum of 450 hours of clinical practice in an approved nursing education program leading to initial entry to practice as a Registered Nurse or Registered Psychiatric Nurse.
• In addition to the minimum of 450 hours, completion of a clinical placement in a medical/surgical or mental health setting is required in order to work in relevant patient care areas. Additional clinical practice hours and/or specific course completion from the approved nursing education program may be required to qualify to work in some patient care settings.
• Acquired competencies in clinical nursing practice to provide safe, quality nursing care, in a supervised assignment.
• Ability to work as a member of a team and request guidance and consultation.
• Accept direction and guidance and constructive feedback.
• Critical thinking skills including clinical judgment, problem solving, and evaluation skills reflective of level of formal nursing education.
• Communicate clearly, appropriately and respectfully with the patient, family, and members of the health care team.
• Attitude and behavior that conveys respect and dignity of all persons.
• Able to establish professional, safe, inclusive and respectful relationships.
• Independent and shared accountability in a just and trusting culture.
• Demonstrate competencies when working with patients/families, staff, students, and volunteers.
• Compassionate, empathic and caring attitude.
• Basic use of technology and competency in computer, clinical electronic device use, and electronic documentation.
• Adheres to all applicable clinical documentation requirements per site policies.
Licenses and Registrations:
• Registered student in accordance with policies and procedures of the education institution at which they are enrolled in an approved nursing education program at.
Other Requirements and Conditions of Employment:
• Satisfactory Criminal Record Check (with the Vulnerable Sector Check)
• Satisfactory Child Abuse Registry Check
• Satisfactory Adult Abuse Registry Check
• Direct care workers are required to either be vaccinated for Covid-19 or to participate in on-going regular Covid-19 testing pursuant to Orders made under The Public Health Act C.C.S.M. c.P210. Successful applicants will be notified at the time of offer of the applicability of this requirement for this position.
** Full job description available upon request
Submit Cover Letter and Resume to:
Payroll and Human Resources Manager